Most of you know our dog Syler. If you don't, it's your loss. :) What I mean is, he is such a great dog. He has so much personality and you look into those big brown eyes and fall in love immediately. And you can see him looking at you with such adoration. What an awesome animal! I realized that Syler wasn't really part of my blogs, so I thought I would have one about him. He is such a huge part of our family. Well, when we rescued him (Inland Empire Golden Retriever Rescue) we took him to obedient classes. One thing I tried to do was include the kids. I wanted to make sure the kids knew how to be "owners" and for the dog to respect them. Even though the kids were smaller versions of me and Rick, we knew that it was important to start that relationship right from the start. Bradley was 3 years old and he would come to the classes with me and the dog. What a natural he was and you could see (over time) that Syler would respond well to Bradley. While Syler was good with Mackenzie (1 yr old), we knew that she too would have to learn how to show him whose in charge. When she was not quite 3, she started her "training". We would have her use dog treats and commands for Syler, and he would respond to her commands. It was awesome watching the relationship grow. I think the dog gets closer to the kids when they start doing those things with him. Well, now it's Hailee's turn. Though I will say, Hailee started before she was even 2. This last summer we put her playhouse on the deck. She would take a big bone biscuit from the "dog box" and call Syler into her playhouse. When he went in there she gave it to him and he would leave with it. She would get mad, follow him and take the bone back. Then she would again call him into the playhouse and give it to him again. This went on and on until Syler finally finished the bone and there was nothing left for Hailee to take. I decided that maybe "teasing" him was not the best training. So we started with something more formal. Now she has her treats and tells him to come, sit, shake, or lay down...then gives him the treat when he complies. He is so patient as Hailee is usually yelling his name and the commands, but they both are doing great. He minds her very well. Here are some pictures of our family working together:)

First she tells him to lay down. Notice how he eyeballs the bag of treats. He is so funny. You can just hear him saying "whatever, whatever, just gimme a treat!"

Then she gives him the treat. She used to throw it, but we tell her to go to him, hand it to him, then love him. That's the next picture. She is as obedient as the dog...sometimes.

Kisses for the Good Puppy! I was hoping to get a picture of when he licks her back, but he was busy licking every bit of treat off her hands.
Thanks for letting me share. Have a wonderful Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment